MP3: The Smart Brothers – “On My Own”
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who love The Smart Brothers, and those who haven’t heard them yet. The Julian-based trio played last month’s Owl and Bear-programmed SoundDiego Live event and systematically converted every attendee into a fan.
The Smart Brothers spend most of their days on the road but, when they’re not busy touring, they find time to record. Their latest full-length, Make It Last, finds the band segueing from their folk beginnings to a more rock-oriented sound. From the poppy opener “Where Did Your Run To?” to the despondent, Strokes-y “On My Own,” Make It Last consolidates everything that has made the band a local favorite: exuberant pacing, unforgettable melodies, and timeless charm. You can buy it here.
All that touring and recording can take a lot out of you, so it’s crucial to have some good songs to wake up to. Singer/drummer Lou Smart was kind enough to share with us his “5 Good Wake Up Songs For Your Alarm Clock,” and now we’re kind enough to share them with you. You can check out the list, along with the band’s current tour dates, below.
1. â€œTwistin’ the Night Awayâ€ by Sam Cooke: A good reminder why itâ€™s so hard to get out of bed.
2. â€œGirlfriendâ€ by The Darkness: Awesome keytar solo, Jay [Smart]â€™s number-one inspiration for shredding. Good for waking up next to a smoking hot lass.
3. â€œCaravanâ€ by Van Morrison: Sometimes itâ€™s kind of hard to understand exactly what heâ€™s saying when he sings, but it always sounds good. Starts out nice and mellow then gets going full force at the end. Builds nice and slow so you can wake up gracefully.
4. â€œKashmirâ€ by Led Zeppelin: We always feel like losers when four or five songs pass before actually getting out of bed. Just put on some â€œKashmirâ€ and youâ€™ll be up and have your teeth brushed before itâ€™s even over.
5. â€œI Got You Babeâ€ by Sonny and Cher: Groundhog Day.
The Smart Brothers tour dates
November 28 – Saint Rocke, Hermosa Beach, CA
December 03 – Museum Of Making Music, Carlsbad, CA
December 17 – DiPiazza’s, Long Beach, CA
December 28 – The Casbah, San Diego, CA