New York’s Linfinity began as a solo project of Dylan Von Wagner, but it soon morphed into a full band effort to channel his creativity after “something unknown” popped in Von Wagner’s brain.
After a well-received solo release (2007’s Live at Marcata), Von Wagner assembled a full band. In 2008, Linfinity the band released a free EP called The Weeping Willow, and last year, they released the excellent Martian’s Bloom. The New York Press has likened Martian’s Bloom to “everything from Southern Gothic tropes and rockabilly to beautiful, string-laden Moorish stomps and bombastic chamber Pop.”
Books, by Joshua Collins (guitar)
1. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami: An imaginative and surreal journey into a dreamlike perspective.
2. The Republic by Plato: A perfect metaphor for how the human mind functions.
3. The Plague by Albert Camus: The microcosm of how we all deal with mortality and fear and finding meaning from suffering.
Movies, by Dylan Von Wagner (vocals, guitar)
1. “Lawrence of Arabia” by David Lean: The sheer ego and bravado is what you need on the road.
2. “Le Samuarai” by Jean-Pierre Melville: A little film noir always helps; everyone needs some mystery in their life.
3. “Battle of Algiers” by Gillo Pontecorvo: I find this film so alarming, it’s almost like a textbook on the very war we find ourselves in today.
Albums, by Grant Zubritsky (bass)
1. Aenima by Tool: Heavy arrangements with solid melody, very rare.
2. Life is Sweet! Nice to Meet You by Lightspeed Champion: Tasteful arrangements with stylized production, always fresh.
3. Distortion by The Magnetic Fields: Dirty sounds and great songs, a good combination.
Top Five Things to do in a Van From Omaha to Denver
1. Twister: While space is a problem, you’ll increase flexibility and peform yoga, allowing for full-band workout.
2. Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon: Someone names an actor, and within six movie roles you have to link that actor to Kevin Bacon’s appearance in another movie.
3. Community Read: Our guitarist Joshua Collins reads us Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky while driving backwards down the freeway with the hazards on.
4. Impulse Dinner: After the THC oil that you’ve been spraying in your mouth for three hours takes hold, the constant ads on the GPS will sucker you into stopping at some horrific restaurant — such things as “Howard Johnson’s $19.99 buffet” or “Red Lobster Mondays.” When the haze clears up, you realize you’re at an Applebees having a burger the size of your head and french fries as long as your arm.
5. Operation (the board game): Make things a little more spicy while driving and set up this game on a cooler between the front two seats. Any little bump and you lose, so you have to watch the road and coordinate a perfect move. This increases hand-eye coordination, hence making us excellent musicians.
Download: Linfinity – MSG (MP3)
Linfinity tour dates (with Murder By Death and Ha Ha Tonka)
04/08 – San Francisco, CA – Slim’s
04/09 – Los Angeles, CA – Troubadour
04/10 – Costa Mesa, CA – Detroit Bar
04/11 – San Diego, CA – The Casbah
04/12 – Scottsdale, AZ – The Rhythm Room
04/14 – Oklahoma City, OK – The Conservatory
04/15 – Austin, TX – Emo’s Alternative Lounge
04/16 – Houston, TX – Mango’s
04/17 – Denton, TX – Rubber Gloves
04/19 – Hattiesburg, MS – Thirsty Hippo
04/20 – Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade (Downstairs)
04/21 – Birmingham, AL – Bottle Tree
04/23 – Ybor City, FL – The Orpheum
04/24 – Orlando, FL – The Backbooth
04/25 – Gainesville, FL – Common Grounds
04/27 – Columbia, SC – New Brookland Tavern
04/28 – Baltimore, MD – Ottobar
04/29 – Cambridge, MA – Middle East (Downstairs)
04/30 – Burlington, VT – Higher Ground
05/01 – New Haven, CT – Café Nine
05/02 – Brooklyn, NY – Music Hall of Williamsburg
05/04 – New York, NY – Bowery Ballroom
05/05 – Philadelphia, PA – Johnny Brenda’s
05/07 – Pittsburgh, PA – Mr. Small’s
05/09 – Cleveland, OH – Grog Shop
05/10 – Kalamazoo, MI – The Strutt
05/11 – Madison, WI – The High Noon Saloon
05/12 – Minneapolis, MN – Triple Rock
05/13 – Iowa City, IA – Picador
05/14 – Chicago, IL – Lincoln Hall
05/15 – Chicago, IL – Reggie’s Rock Club