Screaming Females don’t do quiet.
Seven years and five studio albums under their belts have done little to take the edge off the band’s delightfully deafening punk. The New Jersey group’s latest release, Ugly — out now on Don Giovanni Records — was recorded by master knob-twister Steve Albini, who has previously put hair on the chests of bands like Nirvana, The Pixies, and Shellac. The 14-track Ugly contains all the face-melting, ear-bursting guitar work that Screaming Females’ fans have come to expect. For a taste of the new album, check out the gory, NSFW video for “It All Means Nothing” above. (WARNING: Contains kitten death. That’s right, you heard me.)
You can soak up all of the shredding (of guitars, not kittens) in person on April 28, when Screaming Females play two back-to-back shows in San Diego. The first will be an early, all-ages show at the ChÃ© CafÃ©, followed by a free grown-ups-only performance at Bar Pink with Toys That Kill and The New Kinetics later that night. Whichever one you decide to attend, don’t forget to bring your ear plugs.
In anticipation of the San Diego shows, Screaming Females were kind enough to share their favorite YouTube videos with us. You can check out all of the bizarre clips below.
1. Joe Breezy Tequila Challenge: If there is one thing we love more than guidos, it’s guidos drinking tequila.
2. Turquoise Jeep: “Fried or Fertilized” is a huge inspiration. Yung Humma is a force to be reckoned with.
3. I’m da bes: I got the highest score ever on my SAT.
4. Honey Boo Boo Child: Fuck it, take this person and sacrifice them at the altar of my television screen.
5. Beyonce sings with fan: Ooooohhhhhh…